Around December of 2017, my business partner Cody Marchant and I decided it was finally time to combine forces and create our own marketing agency.
Specifically, we wanted to target content marketing – to grow businesses’ organic search traffic.
- We knew the content marketing industry was projected to double through 2020
- We knew content was becoming more important than ever
- We knew Google was starting to really care about E.A.T. and comprehensiveness in organic SERPs
- We had extensive experience with on-page SEO
- We wanted to network with business owners, and help them grow their businesses organically
- Create a content marketing agency that builds data-driven content strategies
- Help business owners build content that grows their audience and generates real ROI
- Focus on one thing only: content – and become the best in the world at it
We knew it would be a challenge, and we also knew that we had no mentors, and nothing but our own minds and work ethic to get us to where we wanted to be – but, it was a challenge we were more than willing to accept.
Our Offering – What We Specialize In
At the end of the day, you can only be a master at one thing – and that’s what we have built our business model around.
While all these other agencies scramble around to provide full-service offerings with every marketing tactic under the sun – for low margin, low loyalty customers that have unrealistic expectations – we decided to stick with the one thing we are good at: content.
At first, it started out strictly as blog content and content strategies, but over time our content offering has expanded to include:
- Content Strategy
- Blog Content
- Website Copy
- Sales Copy
- Ad Copy
- Email Newsletters
- Press Releases
- White Papers
- Case Studies
- Video Scripts
- On-Page SEO
- Backlink Building
- Consulting Work
- And More…
While we don’t offer comprehensive marketing solutions, we integrate well with existing teams, in order to function as a subject matter expert and strategic partner for all of your content marketing needs.
We regularly work with internal content and marketing teams to develop consistent and effective content strategies across a wide array of channels – ensuring your brand messaging is on point, and your site is gaining traction.
Building Massive Blogs: Dominating SERPs With Content Strategy & Execution
Ultimately, our bread and butter is still blog content and content strategy. The reasoning is simple: if you aren’t making content, you aren’t reaching your audience.
Furthermore, if you are creating content, but it lacks a defined strategy that measures key KPIs – you’re probably not getting a very good ROI on it.
Over the past few years, our content has been read by more than 1,000,000 people, and has helped grow dozens of websites to 20,000+ monthly visitors.
Our success spans across multiple highly competitive industries, such as:
- Real Estate
- And More…
But how do we do it? How can we manage to produce expert-level content that appeals to multiple audiences in extremely competitive industries?
It all starts with content strategy. Just like a football game is won in practice and the gym, content wins in the planning process.
Our Process – How We Help Business Owners
Before ever creating a content strategy for a business, our process starts in the sourcing and interview stage.
Luckily, as a lean business, Cody and I handle just about all the sales, including outreach, sourcing, discovery calls, closing, client management, and retention.
While this sounds like something a lot of business owners may dread (trust me, it is a lot of work) – I personally believe this gives us an advantage over most content agencies we compete against. It allows us to:
- Qualify leads extremely well
- Get a broad understanding of the problems our clients face across all industries
- Understand what the most efficient service offerings are
- Focus on only the most qualified clients
- Deliver effective results and maintain healthy relationships
Once we finally identify whether our service offering is best for a client, the real work begins.
1. Understanding the Ins and Outs of Your Business
In my opinion, this is one of the most important things any agency or strategic resource can do for your business to get real, lasting results that align with your business goals.
That’s why we spend so much time in this stage, in order to learn things like:
- Average LTV of a Lead for Your Business
- Current Website Traffic
- Website Architecture, SEO, and Performance
- Buyer Personas for Your Audience
- Your Sales Funnel
- Tone, Voice, and Mission of Your Brand
- Your Industry
- Your Audience
- The Potential ROI We Can Have for Your Business
This is all done through a series of phone interviews that we conduct, as well as an in-depth resource package that we send to you in order to learn more about your business, goals, and how we can provide value.
Until we have all of this information, we don’t even start making a content strategy – because without knowing the ins and outs of your business, it’s hard for us to make a value proposition.
2. Taking a Deeper Dive Into the Data
Once we see that the potential for working together is there, it’s time to take a dive deeper into the data side of things in order to find out exactly what makes your website tick, where improvements can be made, and where you have some content gaps that need to be filled.
This process involves:
- Looking into Google Analytics, Google Search Console, and Third-Party Data to get a better understanding of your traffic
- Taking a look at existing content to identify improvement opportunities and content gaps
- Identifying areas where your competition is succeeding that you should be looking into
- Finding new content topics that are untapped that can bring more organic search traffic to your site
From this messy data, we create a clean, organized, and concise report that we package into a presentation, designed to help you understand our findings, and identify the best steps moving forward.
Then, it’s time to get into the really fun part – creating a custom content strategy for your business.
3. Creating a Custom Content Strategy That Fits Your Needs & Accomplishes You Goals
At the end of the day, we are all about one thing – providing value. Each month, we talk to hundreds of business owners, and we always strive to provide them with insightful, unique, and value-driven insights into their business.
Unlike most agencies, who will take on anyone they can get, we like to strictly focus on working with businesses we know that we can get real results for.
For instance: sometimes we run into a small to mid-size business owner who has a low budget, but sees the value in content marketing. For them, we might offer consulting, or a content strategy that they can implement themselves. Other times, we run into a business that already has a ton of content, and instead of running to the printing presses to make more – we spend the first 3-6 months upgrading old content to get them better results.
While all of our strategies are unique, our service offering usually boils down to 3 main categories:
- Helping businesses plan their blog from the ground up
- Helping businesses improve their existing blog to generate more traffic and improve conversions
- Helping businesses improve their blog strategy and execute on content on a consistent basis
Regardless of the type of business you run, or the goals you have, there are a few things we always try to promote and stress the importance of the 5 C’s to maintain site health and consistent growth:
- Content Velocity – You should aim to publish at least 2-4 pieces of content monthly, ideally 4-8+ if you want to be sending the best signals to Google and growing your audience as fast as possible.
- Comprehensive Content – No matter what industry you are in, you should be publishing content that is 1,800+ words if you really want to be getting the best results and putting the right foot forward with your content strategy.
- Content Silos & Site Architecture – Your audiences and customer journey should be well-defined enough to be able to divide your blog content into 5-7 main content silos based on user intent, the audience the content is targeting, and the overall goal of the content for pushing people to the next stage of the funnel.
- Consistency – Content marketing is not a spot treatment for your business. It isn’t something you do once for “SEO” and then wait to do again until next year – like that gym membership everyone gets on January 1st for their New Year’s Resolution. It needs to be a constant, consistent effort – always aiming to make improvements every time – in order to succeed and get results.
- Constant Improvement – We don’t believe in the “set it and forget it” model of content marketing. If you have data on your content but don’t use it properly – you might as well be a caveman trying to make fire with two rocks. We believe in constant monitoring of data to make insights, then using these insights to make changes to your content that constantly keep you one step ahead of the competition, and moving up the results pages.
It’s because of these core principles that we are able to help our clients grow blogs from 0 to 100,000 visitors in less than 2 years.
When it comes to the delivery of our content strategies, we like to keep everything in plain sight, right where you can see it. By utilizing Google Drive, we share your entire content calendar, which includes:
- 52 weeks+ of content planned in advance
- Titles, URLs, meta descriptions, notes, and more
- Site improvements, publishing schedule, questions, and more
- Complete content outlines with keywords, FAQ, competition, title, slug, description, H1, headers, sections, and more
- Content improvements to be made on existing content
- Repurpose ideas for additional resources that may be effective in emails, landing pages, ad campaigns, case studies, and more
- Guidelines for our writers that ensure the voice, tone, mission, and persona of your brand are adhered to throughout your content
Basically, we go all out to provide you with a data-driven content strategy that stretches far into the future – providing you with detailed plans, content ideas, and execution strategy that will allow you to plan the rest of your digital marketing strategy around it.
This helps business owners to plan things further in advance, see the big picture, estimate ROI, and get a broad understanding of the content in their industry.
From there, it’s time to execute.
4. Executing, Reporting, and Optimizing
If you do things right, executing (writing and publishing) your content is usually the easy part.
Our publishing process works like this:
- Content is approved and scheduled in advance as seen fit by your team
- Our writers receive our comprehensive outlines and build your content
- We get the content back and edit it, acting as the last line of defense for quality and brand consistency
- Content is then uploaded to your CMS, optimized for on-page SEO (including title, meta, URL, keywords, headers, images, etc…)
- It is scheduled in advance (usually 1-2+ months depending on the scope of the project)
- Content is published on time, and you are notified
- We begin tracking the results, and making notes of our findings – reporting them to your team in concise reports
- After about 2-3 months, we go back and optimize the content based on our findings
- We repeat the optimization and reporting process on a consistent basis so that all of your content remains fresh, relevant, and ever-improving
What this allows you to do is get a clear oversight of the entire process from planning all the way through to publishing and optimization. It also allows you to continually see improved results over time as we continue to make additions to your content that moves it up SERPs.
Lastly, it also helps business owners to remain hands-off, focusing on your other day to day tasks, while we handle what we are best at – content. But at the same time, you are still aware of everything going on with your content strategy on a weekly basis – down to what article is being published, what is scheduled next, and what content has been recently optimized.
On top of all that, we send out monthly email forms that help you to give us feedback about the process, your content, and our services. This helps business owners to get the most value out of our services, and for us to acclimate to your needs over time.
Are You Serious About Building an Effective Content Strategy? Let’s Talk.
Want to grow your blog to 10-, 20-, 100,000+ monthly visitors?
Let’s do it together.
Drop me a line to talk to me about working with Poofnewsales to build a custom content strategy for your business that gets results.